Home >> Public Works Permits

Public Works Permits

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Public Works permits are available here.  If you have any questions, please call us at 415-508-2130.



Contractor's Application for 2019-20 List of Qualified Contractors
Per California Uniform Public Construction Cost Accounting Act (Informal Bidding Process).  Use the above form to request to be included in the City of Brisbane’s List of Qualified Contractors to receive Notices Inviting Informal Bids as projects come forward.
Contractor's Application for 2019-20 List of Qualified Contractors

Grading Permit | Requirements & BMPs
A grading permit is required from the Public Works Department if you plan to excavate, fill, grade or store more than five (5) cubic yards of soil or earth material. (Five cubic yards is approximately the amount of material needed to fill two standard eight-foot pickup truck beds.) If you plan to export more than fifty (50) cubic yards or move a total of more than two hundred fifty (250) cubic yards, then you also need approval from the Planning Commission prior to starting work.  Additional information on requirements associated with grading can be found in Chapter 15.01 of the Brisbane Municipal Code.

HCP Site Activity Review Permit
If your property is one of the parcels within the San Bruno Mountain Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP), then you need to obtain a Site Activity Permit from the San Mateo County plan operator prior to grading and prior to any clearing, weeding, or grubbing operations. The link above will take you directly to the form which tells you where to submit the application.

Encroachment Permit
An encroachment permit is required if your proposed work will open, tear up, break out or excavate in any portion of the public right of way (PROW) or of a public easement. Most of the City’s streets have a minimum right of way width of forty (40) feet; if you’re planning to do any work between your house and the paved street, then the chances are very good that you’re working in the PROW. The best way to determine if you need a permit is to come to the Public Works counter at City Hall and review the photographic maps and assessor’s maps for your property to see where the PROW is relative to your land.

Encroachment Permit (Traffic)
An encroachment permit (traffic) is required if you want to obstruct or divert vehicular or pedestrian traffic, place traffic control devices on the street or sidewalk, or generally cause interference with the PROW. Examples of activities that require a permit include block parties where the street will be closed to traffic, placing “No Parking” signs to allow construction on adjoining private property, placing debris containers on the street, placing scaffolding on the street or sidewalk, etc.

When in doubt, it is best to call the Public Works Department at (415) 508-2130 to ask if you need a permit before you start the activity. Please click on the link to find a copy of the blank permit and the standard permit conditions. Additional information on requirements associated with traffic encroachment can be found in Chapter 12.04 of the Brisbane Municipal Code.

Tree Removal Permit

To request that Public Works trim or remove a tree within the public right-of-way or other public property, please contact the Public Works Dept. at 415-508-2130.  Such trees are maintained by the City of Brisbane and trimming or removal is prohibited, except as expressly authorized in writing by the Public Works Director.  For permit information on removal of trees on your own private property, please visit the Tree Removal & Severe Trimming webpage, or contact the Planning Dept. at 415-508-2120.  If you would like to learn how to recognize hazardous defects in trees, please click here.